CanExport SMEs is a multi-year, Government of Canada program that provides direct financial assistance to Canadian small and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) seeking to develop new export opportunities and markets. The program is delivered by the Trade Commissioner Service (TCS) of Global Affairs Canada, in partnership with the National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC-IRAP).
· Up to $50,000 per project (up to $75,000 per project after August 22, 2019);
· Costs are shared on a 50:50 basis (costs are shared on a 75:25 basis after August 22, 2019);
· Fully accessible through an online application;
· Service standard of 25 working days for a decision.
Applicant must meet all of the following criteria:
· For profit company;
· Incorporated legal entity or a limited liability partnership (LLP);
· Have a Canada Revenue Agency business identifies number*;
· Maximum of 500 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees;
· No less than $100,000 and no more than $100 million in annual revenue declared in Canada during its last complete fiscal year (or during the last 12 months for monthly and quarterly filers).
*An exception may be granted for Indigenous-owned or led businesses.
· Projects must target new markets (those where the applicant has never exported to or has not substantially done so recently);
· Open to projects in all industry sectors, unless already covered by other federal export development funding programs;
· Can take place in any country, provided Canada has not imposed sanctions against that country or against individuals/entities relevant to the proposed project;
· The CanExport SMEs program requires applicants to submit a project for which expenses total between $20,000 and $100,000.**
** Companies participating in trade missions for under-represented groups in international trade (e.g. visible minorities, women, LGBTQ2 and indigenous exporters) organized by Global Affairs Canada may exceptionally submit a project of less than $20,000 for consideration.
Proposed projects must promote export development and go beyond an applicant's core activities. To be eligible for funding, proposed activities and incurred expenses must take place after the approval date of your CanExport SMEs application. They may include:
· Business travel to target markets;
· Participation at trade fairs and trade missions;
· Adaptation of marketing tools for new markets;
· Interpretation and translation;
· Intellectual property and protection, certification or adaptation of contracts for target markets;
· Business, tax or legal advice for target markets;
· Market research.